Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Artist: Mary Engelbreit





 (This is a book about Mary Englebreit full of her wonderful illustrations and her encouraging story and words.)

"I taught myself by copying, but if you do that long enough, you start drawing your own little people, which for me happened when I was just about eight." - Mary Engelbreit

Mary's success in her art is shown by her over 6,000 pieces of artwork.


Mary Engelbreit is a favorite artist of mine.  
(Yes, I suppose I have several favorite artists, but I have admired Ms. Engelbreit's work for most of my life).

I just so enjoy her bright colors and unique style. 
The creative way that she frames her artwork in patterns and designs punctuates the fun and draws the eye in.

I love that Mary never went to art school.
She is a picture of success by keeping to her own style of art and by her hard work.

Mary graduated from high school and went on to work at an art store where she met and was encouraged by the working artists that came in.
She then worked at an ad store where she garnered even more knowledge.

(To see her selection of books, click >HERE<).


Her style of creating art is this:
Mary does her entire piece of artwork on one page: she doesn't sketch her pieces out first.
She starts the artwork in pencil.
Mary then uses micro pen to ink it in.
Next she uses markers to color it: Prismacolor, Copic, or Tria.
She finishes the piece with Prismacolor colored pencils.
Each of Mary's artwork pieces take anywhere from 40 to 100 hours.

(source: Pinterst from the live interview with Mary Engelbreit).
Mary does not sit down to draw everyday at a scheduled time.
She says that creativity hits at times and she jots that idea down so it doesn't get lost,
sometimes even on the back of a napkin.
Mary says her favorite place to work is in her home studio,
late at night when it is quiet
(I love that.  I can relate!)

Ms. Englebreit has created many inspiring quotes. Some of my favorites are:

“One loses many laughs by not laughing at oneself. ”

 “Walk towards the sunshine, and the shadows will fall behind you.”

"Happiness must be grown in one's own garden. ”

"If your ship hasn't come in, swim out to it.”

 ----Mary Engelbreit (from Goodreads.com)


To see some of Mary's fun artwork, click >HERE<


To see Mary's live interview offering helpful tips on what she's learned about marketing artwork, click >HERE<.

Other great interviews that were used for the info on this blog post are these: >www.maryengelbreit.com<
>www.harpercollins.com<



Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for featuring my favorite artist. She is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is! :) Thanks for commenting, Susan. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.