Sunday, August 18, 2013

Painted Mural on the Wall.

Today my home craft is about wall murals.

Here is the painted one along the stairway to our basement.

  My husband replaced all of the stairs
right away because they looked like they might have been from the original building date of 1850.

The cracks and sway of them made me fearful every time I went up or down them.

The walls were thick with so many layers of wallpaper, as I tried to remove them, the plaster of the wall looked like it might come off with them.
It was either a job of total renovation, or some other means of covering the bumpy, uneven walls would be needed.

Since my husband had to leave two months after we bought our farm with his military reserve unit to spend 9 months in Iraq,
and I am not good with either a sledge hammer or hanging new walls,
I thought I would patch the holes that were there
and paint a mural for his birthday present.



 I worked on it in hourly increments.
It gave me something to do for him and a great way to spend praying for him.




The ceiling at the base of the stairway was not completely closed in and had electrical conduit running at the seam, so I decided to paint a tree trunk here and add the artificial greenery to hide them.


 Painting the mural took time, but it was not as hard as I expected.

If it is broken down into sections, it is a fun and manageable art piece for the home.


 I will explain the steps of painting a mural as well as show some ideas.



To see the instructions for mural painting, click >HERE<.

Thank you for dropping in.

12 comments:

  1. I love your prim style!!! Prims are always close to my heart.......and you did a beautiful job of it!!! Very talented you are......I'll be back on Wed. for the tut........thanks....cleo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blogger name. :)
      Thank you much.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT! I like to paint murals, too. But I love the historical look of yours. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lara. I'd love to see your murals!

      Delete
  3. You are amazing! Absolutely amazing! The mural is fabulous. Gosh. Did you do that out of your head or did you have something to look at? Fabulous job. Really. And how ingenious to cover up the wiring with treetrunk and faux leaves. CONGRATULATIONS. I pray your husband will get home safely and LOVE the mural.Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan. I will explain on Wed a bit more how I did it. I did use several different ideas/paintings I liked to create the mural. I thought up a few ideas myself, too. :) My husband is actually back now. I painted this mural about 9 years ago. Thanks for your thoughtful words anyhow. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!! You have a special talent! Your mural is wonderful! The tree is really unique. Wonderful job! Prayers for your husband for a safe return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ann! I did this mural about 9 years ago, so he is back now, thankfully. :) We've added 2 children since, which accounts for the occasional ding on the mural wall now, but it has kept pretty well otherwise.

      Delete
  5. Stopping by to say WOW! I love the creativity to deal with an issue, the opportunity to bless and surprise you hubby AND pray for him as you worked. The tree in the corner with the plant, genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mural is so beautiful and what a wonderful gift for your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely stairway. It reminds me of the Prints I have collected of the Amish countryside here in Ohio. I love the primitive style. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mural is beautiful! I love how you took that time to pray for your husband while he was away. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.