Sunday, August 4, 2013

Giving a Lampshade New Life with Paint: Living Room



Today's home craft features a lamp in my living room.




The shade that I had for this floor lamp broke; I found this one in the attic.
It was dirty looking, so I spray painted it with a light green I had in the basement.
Yes, it looked a bit small, too.

It definitely needed something more.

I got out my sewing measuring tape and measured the top.
I divided the 16 inches into 5 sections of just over 3 inches and marked them out with a piece of chalk
(if I was to do this again, I would have used a light colored chalk: the blue was a bit harder to get off when the whole thing was done).



 I then measure around the base of the lampshade and divided the nearly 30 inches into 5 sections of 6", starting the first section in what looked like was the middle of the section on the top rim.





I used Frog tape for this project since it keeps paint from bleeding underneath;
but because I used spray paint, masking tape may have worked as well.



Starting at the top chalk mark, I ran a piece of tape down to the bottom chalk mark,
and then down to the opposite side chalk mark to make an upside down "V,"
I continued this all the way around.


The following are some ideas that could be used from this point:


- a smaller upside down "V" beneath the larger upside down "V,"




-an upright smaller "V" inside the larger upside down "V,"


 
 - upright "V's" starting from the middle of each upside down "V."


I chose this last pattern for my lampshade.
I pressed down the tape well all over the lampshade.


I had some left-over white spray paint from another project and sprayed it onto the whole outside of the lampshade.



Once the paint was dried, I removed the tape
and then used my glue gun to apply a wrap of fringe ribbon along the bottom.





The pattern shines through when the light is turned on.



It adds some character to the room when it is off, too.


It is always fun to shop at home for an easy update.

Thank you for stopping in!


9 comments:

  1. I like the shade better with your special touch! Dropping by from Met Monday.
    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I painted a lamp shade today. I might need to make a pattern on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Stopping by from Flaunt It Friday and I just love the pattern you painted your lampshade!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat, fun project! By the way, I LOVE the stained glass above your mantel. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks cute!! The fireplace is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, how fun and such a great tutorial too. Your fireplace and mantel are gorgeous. Beautiful vignette too. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.