Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Art Lesson: How to Enhance a Monochromatic Stencil



My daughter's flooring in her bedroom was in desperate need of repainting.

I recently painted it a color called Henrietta in Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.
This paint is an excellent choice when one does not want to go through the tedium of sanding.

I will go into the actual process of the floor being painted this weekend.

For now, I will just share how I enhanced some of the butterflies we painted all over her floor.



 First, I used the internet to get some ideas for butterfly styles and flying positions.

I found some great images from The Graphics Fairy.

From these ideas, I created some simple drawn images on cardstock paper.

I then cut these out to use as stencils
(My preschooler added her scribbles to my stencil).


I stenciled these all over the floor in different sized groupings.
My daughter wanted butterflies that were purple, pink, and red.

She has very definite opinions about what she likes and it usually looks pretty nice,
so I went with this.

After the stenciled butterflies had dried,
I went back and added some details to some of them.

She didn't want them all detailed,
so I left some as they were.


Here are the steps I used to enhance them.





 (You may print this above image of the steps for your personal use,
if you'd like).




 Here are a few others in different colors.







It really does look nice now that we have them all on the floor.



I can't wait to show you the whole thing done,
but I need to finish painting a few more things in the room,
so I hope to get at least one of them done before I take the "finished" pictures this weekend.



Thank you for stopping by.

I will be posting lots of different artsy things this month each day,
so check back again soon!


God bless!

To see the finished floor, click >HERE<.
To print up the butterfly stencils for your own use, click >HERE<.

Sharing at these fun blog parties:
Funkyjunkinteriors.net
Sixsistersstuff.com
Dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Themodestmomblog.com
Theprairiehomestead.com
Btweennapsontheporch.net
 Thegraphicsfairy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.