Sunday, October 6, 2013

Painting a Floor: the EASY way!


Hi!

Would you like to see my daughters' room floor?

Come right in!

Here is how easy it was to paint with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.


The floor was a mess.  I didn't sand it and paint it right when we moved in nearly ten years ago because I had a bunch of other floors and more pressing jobs that had to be done.


 The great thing about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is that no sanding or priming of furniture
(or flooring) is required before painting.

NO SANDING!!!

I did go around with a paint scraper and just rubbed up the really loose paint because it was very loose and I was afraid it would make it too lumpy.


 
I also washed the floor off well.

Markers or stamping pad ink of any kind will bleed through chalk paint.



I had a few bare spots where the raw wood was showing and it must have had some yellowish stain on it because there is slight yellowish bleed through on those spots,


 but it is not bad enough that I want to redo it again.  I would just suggest to you, if you chose to use this paint for flooring,
that any spots where raw wood is showing, you may want to do a test spot with the Chalk Paint.


If there is bleed through, using a stain sealer should seal it and make the chalk paint not bleed through.


 I decided to do the floor in two sections: outer edge and inside the closet first:
2 coats of chalk paint,
butterflies stenciled (I used acrylic paints for the stenciling),
and then 2 coats of Annie Sloan's Floor Lacquer.



For this floor, I ended up needing 3 qts. of the Henrietta chalk paint
(and did have about 1/4 of a can left for some other projects),
and 2 of the bottles of lacquer.



The instructions said only one coat of the lacquer was needed, but because this floor was so scuffed up and had the raw wood showing and my kids play a lot in this room,
I went with 2 coats.

I also put the chalk paint on rather thick, especially where the bare wood was showing,
just because I wanted it to be well covered.

I was worried that there would be an obvious line where I stopped the first section and started the other, but I was very pleased to see the lacquer does not cause this problem at all.

I would suggest if using more than one quart of chalk paint,
mix the cans together before painting as there is very slight variations in the hue of the paints.



 Honestly, though, the way the paint and lacquer paint on,
have such very little odor,
and the dry time is incredibly fast
(Chalk paint dries in about a half hour or so,
the lacquer dries within minutes, but they suggest waiting a day or two before putting furniture back on),
as well as how wonderfully well they have not scuffed or had any problems at all
make this my definite choice for ever painting floors again.


The cost for doing this floor was around $200,
but not having to sand, deal with the dust from sanding,
have the long time intervals of paint drying,
and the horrendous smell of polyerthane drying,
as well as the long wait and poor quality wear that I have seen on my polyerthaned floors
make it worth it.



Of course, this is a personal choice, but I would rather wait until I have the money saved up and do an easy job,
 than hurry with a cheaper, lesser quality job that is all around more difficult.



 If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely bedroom. The paint seems to have covered the previous paint very well. I really do not see where anything bled through. I love the butterflies, they add so much character to the overall design. What a lucky little girl your daughter is to have such a pretty room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Candy. The bleed through from the paint is VERY faint. It is only slightly noticeable. I will get a picture of it and add it to this post this afternoon so that if somebody is thinking about doing this to their floor, they can see what it looks like and decide whether it would bother them or not. It's really so slight, it doesn't bother me at all, but it might bother somebody else who wants their floor to look totally perfect. It looks sooo much better though: that spot is hardly worth complaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a colorful and fun idea!! Like the room and everything in it!! Please come share this on a party I cohost, DIY Sunday Showcase! It opens at 5pm today!! Hope to this this linked up!!

    Shelly
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.