Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Art Lesson: Using Q-tips to Paint Flowers.



Hey, there!
Welcome back.
 

I promised I would explain the simple process I used to add these Black Eyed Susans to my plant cart.

You could use this process for several different kinds of flowers like daisies or cone flowers...






but I chose the Black Eyed Susan because I love its simplicity and cheerfulness.




The household item I used to paint the flowers was Q-tips.
(I don't recommend using the generic brand of Q-tips.  The cotton is not as full or tightly compacted on the ends
and painting with them could prove disappointing.
Honestly, this is a guess on my part.
I just know that is how I feel about using them for their actual purpose.)

I used a couple of them with a color on each end,
but a color on each Q-tip is also a good choice if you don't want to be so careful not to get paint on yourself.

I seem to get paint on me no matter what I use, so I decided to just go ahead and use a different color on each end.

I used acrylic paints.


Starting with yellow, I dabbed the paint on and then made simple strokes to start each petal.





I went back on each petal and made a second stroke to make the petals a bit wider.






Using brown on the other end, I swirled a circle of it inside the petals.




Using a light yellow green, I then dipped another Q-tip...




and poked it into the brown, blending it a bit and then poking directly down into it to make a more spotted-looking middle.




Using another side of a Q-tip, I mixed a bit of the yellow and red to make yellowish orange
(I do generally try to keep my paints separate, but I had used the green for another project and made a mess of it, so I just used the palette as it was.
You, of course, are surely much neater, so please pretend this sea of green is not here).






I used the yellowish orange I'd mixed to dab on the yellow petals in areas where I wanted a bit more shading,
mostly in the center of the flowers.
(Do you see how it looks a bit more orange inside the real flower?)







I then set the orange Q-tip down and picked the yellow one back up.




I used the yellow to move the orange around some,
 to blend it.




Repeating these steps, I made more flowers, sometimes skipping the brown center to make a bud that was not fully opened.



Once there were enough flowers on the cart, I picked up a tiny brush and added stems and leaves.





Once everything was dried, I waited a day so the paint would be thoroughly sealed,
and I then applied a coat of Fiddes and Sons rugger brown wax to give it a slight antiqued look.





Q-tips made painting these flower petals easy, the cotton creating a texture that mimicked the flowers well for this simple crafting purpose.


Have you ever used a Q-tip or other household item to get a certain look in a painting?
I'd love to hear that I'm not the only one raiding the cupboards all in the name of art.


Thanks for stopping by and have a great rest of the week!


Sharing at these blog parties:
Funkyjunkinteriors.net 
Nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
 Redflycreations.com 
504main.com 
Shabbynest.blogspot.com 
Craftberrybush.com
Theshabbycreekcottage.com
Redflycreations.com 
504main.com 
Shabbynest.blogspot.com 
Craftberrybush.com 
Raisinghomemakers.com
Embracingchange.com
Mockingbirdhillcottage.com




10 comments:

  1. Thank You! I think I can do that!!
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cart is beautiful! I've never tried Q-tip painting - looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always used a Q Tip to paint!! So glad to know I'm not the only one!lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you linked up with Craftberry Bush blog. You make it look so easy and I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Здравствуйте, меня зовут Надежда, я присоединилась к Вашему блогу, надеюсь будет интересно, заходите и Вы ко мне, спасибо.))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following me. I could not find a follow button on your blog. I will stop by though anyway. :)

      Delete
  6. If you really desire to get such type of information, visit this blog quickly.bubblegum casting reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learnt various good stuff right here, and I’m sure everyone will get advantage of it.
    bubblegum casting reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. In one of my old painting books by Jackie Shaw, she shows some lovely raspberries & blackberries made using Qtips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Push the twisted bottom into a large straw. Repeat with additional spin art. [alternately you can use a small rubber band to to secure the twisted part and loop around the top of the straw.] flower bouquet singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.