Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Art Lesson: Tracing Paper Trick 2



A few weeks back, I started to talk to you about using tracing paper for your fine art.



 I mentioned sketching your image onto a piece of tracing paper until you get the basic form drawn on it the way you like.





When you have it sketched, rub soft -leaded pencil on the back
(or a charcoal stick as I did.)



Because the charcoal is messy, I wipe it off.  Only a little is needed to rub the image onto the final choice of paper.


I want to put this image in the upstairs bathroom, so I decided to paint it onto an old cupboard door that I had prepared with white and yellow paints.


I taped the duck image in place onto the cupboard door...

 and then traced it.





 When done tracing, I carefully pulled up the paper.



The great reason that this is a good thing to do
is because now that will leave the basic image of the duckling on my tracing paper for me to use again,
should I want to use it for another painting.





 Once I had carefully removed the tracing paper, I was able to start painting
 the cupboard door.  I used acrylic paints for this.





The piece is not quite done yet.  I found I was getting too sleepy and making mistakes,
so I set it aside and will finish it another night, but I wanted explain this process with these pictures.



I hope you are having a productive week;
thank you for stopping by.


Linking up to these fun blog parties:

10 comments:

  1. Love this - will give it a try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Susan, and I hope it helps. :)

      Delete
  2. I use tracing paper a lot. I love this duck-can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always afraid of tracing paper...felt like it was cheating or something, but it can be a very useful tool. :) Thanks for sharing, Mississippi artist. :)

      Delete
  3. So this is kind of a "make your own" carbon paper idea...I think this is brilliant! Great idea, and love that sweet duckling! Catherine (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the duck! Thank you for sharing how you are painting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I will have to show my daughters this trick - they are always wanting transfer paper and I never have any!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love this. I've done the charcoal rub before, but just on letters. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Вы рисуете по фото? Неплохо выходит....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.