Sunday, July 14, 2013

Adding New Life with Paints: Living Room


Hello again.

Do you ever want a bit of change in your home?
Lately, I wanted to add some color to my living room, so I took accessories I had and painted them with a blue called Florence and some with red.  It is simple to paint small things, minimal in expense, and easy to change if your style ever shifts.



 Although this is a pretty piece, I decided the antiqued mirror and bronzed color was not what I wanted in my living room.

I had some red spray paint from a few other projects still sitting in the basement,
so I sprayed the frame.  I didn't have to be too careful with the mirror because I knew I was painting it as well (if I had wanted to keep it a mirror, I would have taped it up with Frog tape.)

  I painted one coat of Annie Sloan's Pure White Chalk Paint on the mirror; this gave it a washed look. 
(A basic primer would work as well, I'm sure.)


 


 I love pressed flowers and greens and have a supply of them in a few heavy books.
(If you like pressed flowers/leaves, pick different varieties and see how they press and then keep some on hand for use on cards or different projects like this one).




I lightly ran a thread of Elmer's glue along the back of the leaves of this fern as well as its stem
and then placed it on the dried mirror.  I gave it a few hours to dry well and then painted a layer of Mod Podge (that had just a hint of the blue paint I am using to accessorize in the living room still in the paint brush) over the painted mirror and fern. 





It turned out just as I had hoped.
It may not be everybody's idea of what they'd like, but that's the great thing about paint:
it can be used to make your home yours
and can recreate items in your home numerous times,
saving money while recycling something to a new life.


Isn't it fun what a few pails of paint can do?

10 comments:

  1. Great transformation on that mirror! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how that turned out Tonya...looks very pretty hanging in your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red really gives the frame a pop of color and is such a nice compliment in your room.

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am your newest follower too. Stop by for a visit sometime.

    Big Hugs Again,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute frame and leaves... just the right touch.
    I must say this is my very first visit I think to your blog. I love this little nook in your home. It is so cheerful and displays the artist in you quite well.
    I'd love to sit in this corner and chat over coffee!
    via MHC, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely! I love that little painted table - so lovely!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that color really makes it pop! I love red, it's so vibrant and bold. Thanks for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is right up my alley these days. my living room is usually brown/blue/white/cream, but lately I've been craving all over color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!

    Would love it if you popped on over to And Sew We Craft Together and linked it up!

    http://www.andsewwecraft.com/2013/07/and-sew-we-craft-together-linky-party-52/

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.