Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Art Lesson: On the Fence.



Hello!
Today I would like to share some thoughts on drawing wood.
My art lessons each week are not based on a certain process of conquering art skills,
but usually just consists of what I am learning along the way.

I have a project I am working on that includes a wooden sign,
so I thought I would take you through the process I went through.


 My idea started as a rough sketch.



with a few changes along the way.




When I got what I wanted, I outlined the picture with a copic liner and erased the pencil lines.

 


(Feel free to print up this image and make your own colored fence painting!
As always, my images are free for use, just not for resale).



While trying to decide what to do with the sign, I headed outside for a better idea of what wood looks like.


 I got some ideas from the old painted (non-functioning) outhouse we use for storing some tools.

I love the look of white-washed wood,
but I also got a few pictures of the natural color on the old grape arbor.





So many colors and lines in the old weathered boards.


While snapping pictures, our cat Moon came racing by chasing a creature.
I had to call my son and daughters when I saw what it was, hiding in the grass by my feet.




 He disappeared into the undergrowth under the lilac bush and we hoped he'd realize our yard with the cats and dogs wandering around isn't a safe cafeteria for rabbits.


I decided that the weathered wood was what I was going to attempt for my sign.





I began with some very light grays.



The darker grays were added...


and then I marked in some spots of greenish yellow.


Some warmer grays helped blend the colors.
 This was probably a good place to stop, but I didn't think it was detailed enough for what I wanted.
(I have a problem knowing when to stop when it comes to coloring).


 I added some even darker grays...


 as well as some extremely light blue.


 The colorless blender helped mellow the colors.


 A final coat of warm gray covered everything up, making a slight mossy look to the wood,
or, at least, that is what I was trying to get.



To add just a bit more age to the wood, I lightly drew in a few more suggestions of rough, cracking wood.




A final touch of colorless blender to make a few places lighter and accentuate the darker.




Wood is such a versatile and beautiful subject in artwork
even though it is such a simple thing.


The project is not finished yet, but I am hoping it will work for what it is intended.


If you have a chance to take a walk this week, notice the wood you encounter on your trip.
It seems to be all around, doesn't it?
Pick up a pencil or some colored pencils and see what you discover.
Remember, if you ever want to share what you've worked on, I would love for you to share it on my facebook page.


Thank you for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. This tutorial will help me so much, with a current project. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tutorial. Loved seeing how you did it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. I am amazed at your talent! I've seen some art done with Copic markers, and I can't believe the results. Your tutorial makes me want to run out and buy some! Although, you clearly have a gift. Mine would probably look like chicken scratches! I'm so glad I found you over at Met Mondays. I'm looking forward to learning more!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.