Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Art Lesson - Sketch Page: Little Mouse



Hello!

I have been dieting the last month and a half,
a challenge between a couple of people and I,
It was a pretty focused endeavor.


My husband's boss and the secretary at his job are very thoughtful people
and often send home little treats to the kids or myself.

About a week or so ago, the secretary sent home a piece of cake for me:
she told my husband to have me wait until the kids were in bed,
and enjoy the cake all by myself.
Of course, she didn't know of my diet competition:
it was a sweet and kind gesture.

The cake was the most incredible-looking chocolate cake I have ever seen:
rich, dark frosting covered in mini chocolate chips,
drizzled with a bit of butterscotch.

The kids were all as desirous of it as I was.

Of course, I did what any good dieting mother would do:
I put it into a container and buried it in the freezer where it would be safe and sound until the competition was over, and I could enjoy it then.

The competition ended the day before yesterday,
and I waited a whole day before I dug the cake from the freezer.

I am being very good about it and only ate a section of it,
gave a few small bites to the kids,
and have the rest saved for another day...
after the incredible taste of it,
I am thinking that will be tomorrow.
:)


All that to say, I purposed to make a nice card for the thoughtful secretary
for such an incredibly delicious cake.


I decided to add a bit of something cute to the card,
so I decided on a little mouse to be in the picture.

A great tool for digging up realistic pictures of creatures is,
of course, the internet.


I typed in "cute  mouse" in the search engine,
and these are some of the images that popped up:




Using a combination of the images,
I came up with a sketch page to get myself familiar with this creature.





 I then sketched a picture of a mouse with some cake,
and then copied my sketch (using the light box) onto another page.

I am glad that I did because I used watercolors and did not like the way a few parts of the picture came out, so I used my original and the light box again, and am coloring it in this time with copic markers and colored pencils.



I haven't finished it yet, but here is the image of the mouse in watercolors.


I wish I could share a bit of the cake with you...
INCREDIBLE!


Feel free to print up the mouse page and give him a try,
if you'd like.  He is free for personal use, just not for resale.


Thanks for stopping in!


(To copy these pages, click on the image, right click, and then click on "copy".

Open up Microsoft Word and right click on the screen, and then click "paste".
 The image should paste onto the page.

You can then click "print".
If you have difficulties or suggestions, please let me know.)




4 comments:

  1. I so admire your talent! The little mouse is darling. I looked at your sketch and I think I could copy it but I am sure that I don't have the talent to originate it. Thank you for your lovely sketch tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your watercolor could almost make me think mice are cute. He certainly makes me want to try that cake, but, sadly, I'm gluten free. And I LUV chocolate……
    Thanks for sharing your talent with us…...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun comment! Thank you for the smile! I have been trying to eat less gluten as well...haven't totally eliminated it yet. Chocolate is such a hard one to let go of! Yes, mice are one of the few creatures that make me scream when I see them. :) Not sure why I was so intent on wanting to learn to draw one, but I decided to go with it. :) If you or anybody ever want to see something sketched, I would love to give it a try. I can't always draw as well as I'd like and this mouse was actually one of the hardest things I have tried to draw in a while...funny how such a little creature could be so daunting to get correctly out of the pencil. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.