Thursday, March 13, 2014

Art Lesson: How to Draw a Bee on a Flower


Hello!
Are you thinking about spring today?

We had a taste of spring, and then it blew away returning the bitter cold to remind me that spring is still a week away.


I decided to draw a bee on a flower to help welcome spring.




First I started with the basic shapes of the parts of the picture.





I then added more of the basic parts of the bee.



Finally, I started sketching in more detail of the bee
as well as the individual petals.

All those tiny petals can seem daunting...



but in order to make a flower look realistic, especially this close up,
each petal must be considered.

Really, once they are started, it doesn't take as long as one might think
and the result they give makes them worth it.

(I watched  African Queen while I added the details of the petals and the finishing of the bee;
funny how looking at the bee now reminds me of Humphrey Bogart saying, "Rosey, old girl.")

 


I continued to add shading and detail until I felt it was enough.




I photocopied the original and then outlined it to show what it would look like in ink.



Here is the step by step sketch sheet if you would like a print up.







The print up sheet is free for personal use, just not for resale.
Thank you for stopping in.
(To copy these pages, click on the image, right click, and then click on "copy".

Open up Microsoft Word and right click on the screen, and then click "paste".
 The image should paste onto the page.

You can then click "print".
If you have difficulties or suggestions, please let me know.)



Sharing at:
Tipjunkie.com 
Homestoriesatoz.com 
Notjustahousewife.net 
Savvysouthernstyle.net 
Abowlfulloflemons.net
Betweennapsontheporch.net



2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog a few weeks ago, and I am enjoying it so much! I like doing watercolors, but I always have to trace someone else's design. Your art lessons are inspiring me to try some drawings myself! Your house and farm are wonderful. I hope you will show lots of spring pictures of your place. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cheryl! What an encouragement you are! I hope you will try creating some artwork and enjoy what you do!

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.