Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Art Lesson: Watercoloring the Tractor Sketch.



Hello, friends.

A couple weeks back, we went through the process of sketching up some tractors.




This was the picture I was sketching from.


Today I wanted to share the process of using watercolors to paint the dried, inked image.



First, I used a mustard yellow wash to fill in the ground


and a lighter yellow on the tire hubs and the tractor.





I then added a green wash to the tractor and to the farmer's shirt and cap.





Next I made a very light gray wash using red, blue, and green and began painting the tire...


and loosely painted a background of trees.




I could see that there is three layers to this field:
the forefront layer that has a grassy look,
a cut layer of grass,
and a distant uncut stand of grass.




I made a green wash to paint the uncut distant grass.




I finished shading the tires, the exhaust pipe, some touches of black on the tractor,
and the piece of farm machinery being pulled by the tractor.




Next I decided to create the grassy front part of the field by loosely painting streaks of green,
some darker than others.




To created a faint look of cut grass for the layer of field behind the tractor,
I painted a wash of green and then painted swatches of a reddish green lines
and then dabbed them up somewhat with a tissue.



I create a division of the cut grass with the still standing grass in the background by painting a line of darker greenish red with strokes going up loosely, like grass would grow.



To darken the background trees, I first made a reddish black,
almost a purple, and did a wash of that over a section
and then went over it with sections of green.






Once this was complete, I changed to a very light blue wash and started the sky at the top and worked down toward the tree line.










I made a skin color with orange, yellow, and white and used a wash of this on parts of the farmer's face and arm as well as the child's face and legs as they stood out in the picture.
At this point, I also used blue on the farmer's pants and child's clothes with this same selective area painting.



Using some dull gray left-over from the tree background in the paint tray,
I put some shading in the yellow tire hub.
I also touched a few areas on the tractor with a reddish green to lightly shade areas as needed.





At this point, I sat back and looked at the painting.




 Something about it was not right to me.



 

I felt like the child's head was too small for his body.



I had a choice to leave it or try to fix it.

Perhaps I should learn to leave some things as they are,
but I couldn't let this one go.


I mixed some white, heavy on the brush and enlarged the head where I could see there was a white patch in the picture.  I added some blue, some brown for the hair, and a curl of dull white for the ear.


 

 I decided at this point it was good as it was and that I had better stop painting.


I painted this for my husband for his birthday as a checkbook cover.
(A plastic, clear cover that I found through a craft catalog years ago,
something similar to the one at the end of this post.)





Although this isn't perfect, I am enjoying learning to work with watercolors.
It is a rewarding working with a paint that you enjoy.
 I am glad the painting turned out in a way I feel happy with on a gift for my husband...
he deserves it. :)


Thanks for stopping by!


(I have added a few advertisements to the side of the blog for those who want to know the products that I use or think are useful... just trying to be helpful.  Of course, if you purchase anything from the links, I will be paid a little something, which is always helpful in funding my home and art supplies,  a helpful gesture! :)
(If these ads are annoying to you as you read, please let me know, and I will see if I can put them on their own separate page of the blog. ) 
 

Linking to these parties: Jenniferrizzo.com,
 

21 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your tutorials! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently taking watercolor lessons and it was great to see how you approached this project. I can't wait to check out more of you art.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful sketch and very good watercolourings. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the queen of not stopping when I should so feel your angst! Really nice though and thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are fabulous! Thanks for sharing your wonderful process! I love both the raw sketch and the painted sketch! Beautiful!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sketch and great to see your process as you coloured it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to watch your whole process, quite a job to photograph all this in the right time. Thanks alot for sharing, and your art is beyond beautiful.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Great seeing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your process. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just loved all your pictures that you took along the way to make your wonderful picture that I am sure your husband will treasure..
    Happy PPF
    Sandy #86

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is simply great! Thanks so much for sharing the process.
    Happy PPF,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tonya,

    Love this tutorial. I am trying watercolors out, so your site will be a great reference for me!
    Have a great day,

    Val
    (found you via Chic On A Shoestring)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed seeing your process, especially since I have only dabbled a tiny bit in watercolors. The result is lovely. Thank you. ~~irene #66

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome gift and a great finish to your sketch! The watercolors look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow , this is beautiful and I love how you got it done on his cheque book , a perfect gift.

    Annabelle m..m

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the painting, its very well done and I loved watching you progress through it. I hope the hubby was happy with it
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  17. This type of article is interesting and fun to read. I like reading and I am always searching for informative info like this. Cylinder Liner

    ReplyDelete
  18. For getting a greater publicity to your products or personality, being present on social networking just like Twitter is vital currently. Folks who can spend money on this to purchase twitter followers might comfortably get exposure for their items overnight. buy twitter follow

    ReplyDelete
  19. The three-point hitch and PTO system is very important because without it you will be limited in what you can do with your tractor. So my advice is to only look at tractors with a three-point hitch. d110 john deere

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.