Friday, March 15, 2013

Painted Stained Glass


Do you have an old frame you aren't using?



Here is a simple fun project anybody can do:

You'll need some glass paints: I used Martha Stewarts Gloss Opaque Glass Paint
and her Liquid Fill paint.



After removing the picture,
I picked out an image I wanted to use from the Graphic Fairy


and printed it to the size I needed for this frame.*


After I taped it to the back of the glass,
I used some black opaque paint
and squirted it onto the glass along the lines of the flower I wanted to highlight
also creating some outward lines to give it a pieced glass look.
I let this dry well for about 2 days.



I used some of the paints straight and others I mixed the colors to give more variety.
I mixed liquid fill with them to thin them some.




 Here is the piece all painted in and set aside to dry.




When it dried, the painted edges cracked some.
I didn't mind on this piece as it was just an experimental piece.
For my next larger piece I used the paints specifically called "liquid fill" paints to prevent this from happening.
(I'll show you that piece as well...soon)



It makes for a nice bit of color in the bathroom window.


A fun use of an old frame and there is plenty of paint left for other projects.




*This is how I use transfer images for me to use:
1. Open up Microsoft Word on your computer.
2. Click on the image you want to transfer, and it should pop up in a new window.
3. Right click on the image, and click "Copy Image"
4. Click back onto the open Microsoft Word window.
5. Right click again, and click on "Paste".
6. The image should now appear on your Microsoft Word page.  It can be shrunk to whatever size you want by clicking on it, and then place your mouse in one of the corners, click, and drag the image to the size you want.
7.  Place the image on the page where you want it, and print it up.


Linking up to:

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Elsa, and for being one of my first followers! You made me smile!

      Delete
  2. I used to do this years ago with faux stained glass paints. You're making me think I need to try it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like the cracks. So pretty, and what a great way to reuse an old frame! Thank you for linking this up with Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.