Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vintage Ducks Illustrations.



Last weekend, we picked up four Muscovy ducks for our farm.
I had two pet geese when I was a teenager which instilled a special place for waterfowl in my heart.

Hopefully, we'll be able to keep them from predators and enjoy their useful consumption of flies and ticks
as well as watching them float around on the pond.

(Is it just me, or do you find it very restful to watch ducks swimming on the still water of a pond as well?)


I thought these old book illustrations were fun to share this week.
Here is some cleaned up versions.


This one also caught my eye.




My ten year old has especially been enjoying the new members on our farm.

(Some cleaned up versions follow:)



I have envied her, peacefully sitting on the soft spring grass, the ducks and drake nibbling the grain from her hands.
I have to admit, I have given in a couple times and joined her.

Sweet little ducks.



Feel free to use these vintage illustrations for fun projects.
They are from the late 1800's so there shouldn't be any copyright on them.


Linking up at:

8 comments:

  1. I love ducks! I'm sure that you will get hours of enjoyment from watching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is something so relaxing about watching them. :) I hope we do.

      Delete
  2. We lived by a pond and loved watching out ducks. I don't know where you live but in Tn. We have a problem with snapping turtles. They would pull the ducks under the water and sometimes kill them , especially the babies. I just thought I would let you know in case you live in a turtle !!!'. area. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. We do have snappers in that pond. I hope they can avoid them. That would be pretty heart-breaking!

      Delete
  3. Love these! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you the lucky one to live where you are able to fulfill your heart's desire to have ducks. Love those childhood memories! I can just see you sitting near the pond's edge, resting in an old Adirondack chair, wide brim hat on your head, gazing out into the water. Watching your new pets lazily skim the top of the water. Thanks for sharing those charming illustrations. I adore old images like that! Your newest follower...... ME!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.