Saturday, May 17, 2014

Using a Sketch to Bring a Painting to Life.



Hello again, friends!

It has been a long time.

My easel has looked like this for some time now.




I recently discovered an artist's picture that I thought was so creative and beautiful.  It is Slaveika Aladjova's lion print done in watercolors, brushed with bright colors and dripping paints.


I wanted so much to try this technique.

I dug out the bee sketch I did a few weeks back,...



printed up the image I had sketched (enlarging it to the size I wanted to use in my piece),
rubbed pencil lead on the back of it,...




turned it over and taped it where I wanted it to be on my piece, and then traced the image so that it transferred onto my canvas.





I lightly added some more flower details to the canvas, and then decided to use some permanent calligraphy ink to mark parts of it.





I did not mark every line that I had sketched with the pencil, just the ones I chose to be in the piece. 



Once I was finished with it, I took a picture of it and printed up several of the images onto some heavy cardstock paper in an attempt at doing some different techniques and colors like the colorful lion watercolor.


(I still hadn't erased the pencil marks in this picture).


I will end this post here now and continue with what I came up with in a future post.


Thanks for stopping by!  I do plan to come around more often as the plant sales have passed, and I am so happy to be back at the paintbrush once again.




1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I was so disappointed to get to the end & see I had to wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.