Monday, May 19, 2014

Living Spaces in the Flower Gardens.


Hello!  Did you do anything creative this weekend?

I did a few things but mostly spent a lot of time catching up on housework...the plant sales and kept me so busy that my house was in desperate need of some drastic attention.  It feels great to have a good part of the house done but I still have a few areas I hope to finish this week.

It is so hard to be inside when the weather is perfect.  The sun shone all weekend and it was a perfect temperature of warm out.  I took a few pictures because it is incredible how a couple weeks can transform the gardens.

 

I have a few different types of allium, but these are my favorite.
The flowers are about 4 inches in diameter each.


I did spend some time to clean up the basement porch.
The winter woodpile by the door was finally used up as it has been such a cold spring.




I love how adding a few plants on the porch seems to extend the garden in.














I painted the long bench and the wooden bucket some cheerful colors.
I was going to separate this hosta I dug up from one of the gardens but ended up planting it into the bucket for now.




Perennials are my usual choice for plants, but this dainty purple plant was a gift to each of the ladies at our mother-daughter banquet so I potted it up and set it on the window sill...
as long as the curious cat doesn't knock it off.



It always seems that by the time I have caught up with the house and gardens,
a group has formed of new plants I want to put in.


(My husband and kids started the winter woodpile back where I had plants stocked for the sale just as soon as I got them moved back to the field again.  His work never ends).



I collect hostas; this one is called Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

There are hundreds of hosta varieties and they have great names and beautiful colorings and textures.
I try to limit myself to just a handful of new varieties each year.  As they grow, I separate them and plant them into three different gardens and then I can dig one up and every year or so to have the extras to sell at my plant sale.
(This lets me feel like my collection pays for itself...eventually.
I enjoy collecting something that stays outside and becomes beautiful without my having to dust it or vacuum around it; and the fact that it grows and can be shared makes it even better).

This year I chose Queen of the Seas, Popcorn, Northern Exposure, Miss Suzie, Ripple Effect,
and Ulysses S. Grant.
See what I mean?  They have fun names, don't you think?



Of course, simple blooms like that of the Cornflower are sweet to see.






The Bridal Veil Spirea is in full bloom right now.  The scent of it takes me back to my grandmother's when I was a child.



This is what the gardens look like most of the time in the spring.

I found some dwarf wisteria shoots in the place where I had moved it from and dug them up to see how they would do.

Unfortunately, my walkways are seldom tidy.
Chickens and ducks seem to like the gardens as much as I do,
no matter how much I try to shoo them out.  I kept them penned up until the plant sales were done
and it just seems hard to keep them penned all season with all the thousands of bugs to catch and the green grass to nibble on,
so I try to work with it.





It's hard to believe how much has grown since my earlier post on this flower bed >HERE<.






My plans now are to extend the garden below, clear the center of it, and make an area for our picnic table so we can spend time eating outside this summer.


I would love for my husband to build a support system over it for the wisteria to grow on,
but that may have to wait until the wood is done and the hay fields are mowed and the barns are cleaned out...

Still, it is fun to imagine what I want this place to become.




Until next time, I'll try to finish up the bee picture I mentioned in the last post.
It might be a struggle to stay focused with the blooms calling to me outside,
but I'll get to it!

(Viburnum Doublefile)


Thank you for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.