Thursday, April 3, 2014

Art Lesson: Beginning with Oil Pastels



Hello!

I am sorry my post for an art lesson is a day or two late this week..
Spring has sprung here and underneath the snow from last week,
all sorts of plants are making their way to the surface.

I have been working on some ideas for children's books and wanting some illustrations that would make them come to life.



I decided to try a different medium, hoping a change would give me a fresh take on it.

 



I have a little tin cup of oil pastels that the kids have played with,
so I decided I wanted to try them since it has been quite a while since I have used pastels.




While I worked on some ideas, I watched a Youtube video on how to use them.




 I so appreciate all the opportunities that the internet gives for learning new skills like this.





It is a long video and I worked on a few different strategies while listening and glancing up from time to time.

 




If you do not have the time to watch the whole video, the part that I thought was the best at showing the ease and beauty pastels possess, start at about 58 minutes into the video where a hat is demonstrated.
It ends at around 1:16 into the video, but it is worth the 18 minutes if you haven't used pastels much, like I haven't.





I am sure there are other great instructions that can be used as well.




Pastels are a unique medium that are fun to try.
Have you ever tried them?



April is the busiest time of the year for me as I am digging up plants from my gardens to sell at a plant sale in early May.  I will try to keep getting some posts on here and working on some artwork;
hopefully along the way.


Thank you for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.