Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Art for the Kitchen: Woodburned Wooden Spoons



The kitchen holds so much of our lives:
cooking, eating, washing dishes, chatting and laughter, playing games, singing...

It makes sense to fill our kitchens with things that we love, don't you think?  Since I can't always find those quirky things I have a liking for, creating some becomes the only option.




Having a Russian father, I have a special place in my heart for Russian nesting dolls (matryoshka dolls), which aren't always easy to find, so I decided to wood-burn one on my spoon..


Making Borscht will be extra fun now, I think.




Here is the process I use to go about wood-burning wooden spoons.

First I sketch the design I've chosen lightly with pencil.  I then begin wood-burning as if I was using a pen.  (There is not way to erase with a pen, so that is why it is more like drawing with a pen rather than a pencil.  There is no room for error so having a steady hand is necessary.)



Being careful 
1. not to let the wood-burner sit too long on any spot: this makes a deep, dark burn;
2. not to accidentally touch anywhere on the spoon with the tool where marks are not wanted because it can make marks rather quickly.
These are two tips that I had to learn the hard way.



When the burning is finished and you are satisfied with your burning, turn the wood-burning tool off and set it aside in a place where it can safely cool; it stays hot for a bit of time (and be sure to stop when you like it as it is: better to stop when it is satisfying than to continue and possibly make an un-fixable mistake).

Once you have made sure the spoon is also cooled, erase the pencil markings from the spoon.



Next I use coconut oil and rub it into the spoons.  I also have some beeswax around, so I rub in a small bit of that, too.  You just want to rub in an oil that wouldn't be harmful to eat as some will come off when you use it in cooking.  I have found rubbing coconut oil into my wooden spoons every few months helps to keep them from cracking.


The backs of the spoons are also fun to burn but be sure to do them before you rub the oil onto the spoon's front.




I enjoyed doing these spoons more than I expected, so I bought a selection at a kitchen store and burned them to sell at the Christmas craft sales.  These were fun to work on in the evening when the kids were in bed and I was sure to have quiet (and no bumping).







I got some ideas from Pinterest, some from calendars or cards, some from things I have enjoyed drawing before.  The scope of ideas is endless!



 









I think these chickens were from a design I saw on a piece of material; I liked their quaint simplicity.


 




 

 I did not sell all of the spoons, so some were great to give away in Christmas gift bags.










 I had fun making these and I'm sure you might, too!


Thanks for stopping by!





5 comments:

  1. SO creative Tonya! Quite original... I would have trouble picking a favorite. Love the scripture on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Good to hear from you again. I've missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using mine!! Thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mine also. I think of you everytime I use it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonya very good job! so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.