Thursday, December 19, 2013

Art Lesson: 2 Easy Stars and "How to Paint a Simple Nativity" Video.


Hello!


Today I am going to show you how to create a very simple nativity scene.
I am using these on some of the cards I am finishing for Christmas.




I began taking pictures for this tutorial, but it seemed much more complicated in pictures,
so I made a video for this.

(I have not made many videos and feel a little strange talking into a camera,
so please forgive with my inexperience;
but see how easy these really are!)


If the two examples look different, it is because the first sample I was showing was a wooden piece,
and the blue I was using was slightly different than the second piece.

The first piece I showed of painting the background triangular starlight and the ground was done with Apple Barrel acrylic paint in cobalt blue.

The second piece was painted on felt and I used acrylic Artist's Loft paint in Phthalo blue.

Here are both finished pieces so you can see the difference,
but that both create good nativities.



I do love that phthalo blue, and the Artist's Loft paint is much thicker/denser than the Apple Barrel
(except the yellow, not that I used yellow in this painting, but just as a side note for information's sake.  The yellow Artist's Loft paint does not have as good of coverage for some reason, in my opinion.  Have you ever tried the two brands and have an opinion?)



I also give a tutorial on easy ways to make two different stars.






I showed my 7 year-old son the steps to painting the nativity,
and he did a pretty good job.






It is a fun and rewarding scene to create
and the subject matter a worthy matter to remember.


These steps can be used in larger scale, too.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much! That is so great to know, and I hope your son enjoys doing this painting craft. :)
    Thank you also for letting me know about the Pinterest button. I finally worked up the nerve to figure out how to add it. It scares me some when I try to do anything with the blogging template, but it worked, so I'm glad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.