Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Art Lesson: Drippy Watercolors


Hi there!

I decided it was time to get these pictures of the bee picture on here.


I wanted to do a bit of experimenting with letting the watercolors be bold, loose, drip down the canvas.


Here is one I loved of a butterfly from a shop on Etsy by Dean Crouser.



Also, the beautiful, colorful artwork of Slaveyka Aladjova which can viewed at her esty shop here:


(I think the lion, horse heads, cow, and rooster are my favorites.  FANTASTIC!)



I wanted so much to create a beautiful piece like these, so I used the bee sketch that I partially outlined with ink, took a picture of it,
and then printed up 4 or 5 copies of it onto cardstock paper to experiment before I completed the large canvas.





I started by using masking fluid on the areas I wanted to keep lighter or white.




On my first try, I was very careful and conservative and basically just painted without letting any of the paint get too drippy.


For the next image, I decided to brush water all over the areas I was about to paint,...



and add the paint right away, letting it drip and wash where it wanted.



(I am a bit embarrassed to show this image as I obviously got impatient and the masking fluid was not completely dry and it ran down the wet paint.
I knew this was just a rough run-through of experiments that I would be throwing away,
so I was not as patient as I would be with a real canvas

One cannot rush the masking fluid.
I wiped it up with a bit of paper towel.)


I followed the same wetting down of the paper procedure before I painted on some yellow.



For my next sample, I wet the page down, but used less water, so it would not be quite so loose.




I did the same with the light blue.



I painted the pink on the petals with a fine brush.




I finished with a bit more detail and some loose green for the stems and leaves,...




and then added more wet colors for the dripping effect.

 



For the other pages, I basically continued experimenting with putting down washes,
letting colors drip, putting on heavier colors where I wanted more detail.




(heavier paint on flowers)


(cleaner, more bold colors)



(more warm colors, blended colors)



It was a fun experiment and I am glad I did them on the cardstock instead of going right to the canvas.




When it came down to it, I did not like the results I had achieved with the dripping watercolors enough to go through with them on my canvas,
at least, maybe for this scene.
I loved the images the other artists have done with this, but I am not ready to frame my own attempts, so I chose to go with what I was comfortable with for my canvas:
copic markers.




Here is what I chose to do, partially finished...


and this is where I decided to stop.





I enjoyed the dripping watercolor method and hope to try it again.


Have you ever given the drippy watercolor method a try?



Here is a video I found very useful for explaining the technique.


Thanks for stopping by and have an excellent day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! If you have a question, I'll try to answer it.